Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Drive

This is entry #2 for me for Saturday Centus this week. It's a story that just had to be told. So why not do it in 100 words?


WHAT I DID OVER MY SUMMER VACATION

My fingers gripped the handle of the car door tight enough to turn my knuckles white. This was the most nerve wracking ride of my life. I realized I was holding my breath and had to remind myself to breath. In, out, In, out.... oh crap! DEEP BREATH IN! I wanted to close my eyes as we whipped around the corner at way too fast of a speed, but that was not an option. I had to keep my cool, had to remain calm, had to remain in control of the situation. I had to teach my daughter to drive.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

HA! Great one! I began this journey over 6 months ago...I promise, it gets easier!

Cheryl said...

Breathing is such an important part of teaching the youngun's to drive. Plenty of time to hold your breath once they're out too late that first time alone with the car.

BECKY said...

Oh, what a surprise ending! Loved it! And oh, yes..those are very scary times!! :D

Viki said...

OMG, LOL. I'm sure that's exactly how every parents that teaches driving to their kids feel. Another good Centus.

BECKY said...

I would swear I already left a comment here, because I read this hours ago! Must've been another time that my computer just froze up on me! Drat! Anyway...I really loved this!! Oh, I remember my fear when my youngest son was learning to drive....scary!! Great story!

PERMANENT POSIES said...

I have four children and 3 of them practiced driving on the farm with their grandfather starting at the age of being able to sit on his lap and see over the steering wheel. Ok...well, we lived in a different time era..ha. But my #3 daughter didn't ever want to do that so at 15, I began that horrible process and I felt just the way you expressed it. Made me laugh.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Oh Em Gee, if you didn't capture that task in a most excellent way!!!

My kids are grown and I still don't feel comfortable with them driving!

Deborah said...

Brilliant!!! ... I loved it :o)

Malisa said...

What a delightful take on such a horrifying subject! :) I must admit that you had me to the end. My mind was racing trying to decide your dilemma! Loved the surprise!

I just posted my contribution. Please stop by!

Malisa

Terra said...

I dont know if I was supposed to laugh or not but I so so so did!!!

Kat said...

This made me laugh out loud. You described the scene perfectly. Which is why I made DH teach our daughter to drive :)

Pelican Joe said...

Now that is funny! I had to do the same thing last spring. It gets easier...or so I told myself!

Jessica B said...

LOL. Love it! I remember those days with my oldest daughter... definitely white knuckle rides. :)

Kaelin said...

those are scary moments I hope never to repeat - described perfectly!

Jenny said...

This is my favorite link so far this week!

I loved it!

I kept wondering where you were going...and then realized there could really be nothing more horror filled then the actuality of what you were doing!

A Mom teaching a daughter to drive.

You are a brave and valiant soul!

Thanks for the smile and the great link!

Related Posts with Thumbnails