Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Cup of Cappuccino

It's amazing how one little event can take what was promising to be a pretty good day and make it total shit. I had such a day this past week.

Dot and Sonny went to visit their dad for a couple of days after being home for two straight weeks, which with two teenager can feel like two years. Two years of constantly bored, constantly hungry, picking on each other, whiny, bossy, bitchy torture.

Hub and I were getting along amazingly well, actually speaking to each other rather than quietly passing each other by. We even made plans to go out to dinner.

Even more amazing is the fact that it was nearly 4pm and Tot had been meltdown free and well behaved. Yes, it was a good day. Until...

I was standing in the middle of the living room when I noticed the cappuccino cup. It had started off that morning as mine. Hub had gone to get himself a coffee and for some reason I asked him to pick me up a cappuccino. This is not something I would normally drink in the middle of August with temperatures in the hundreds everyday. And yet, I asked for one. I drank about half of it, truly enjoy the deliciousness, before I began to pool with sweat and gave it up. I offered the remainder to Dot who accepted it, took a few swallows and then left the rest behind as she headed out the door to go to her father's.

Now, here I was, staring at the cup of cappuccino sitting on the corner of Tot's little table. A table meant for snack time, coloring and building blocks. Not a table meant to be a place for people to set drinks of any kind. At the moment my eyes fell upon that cup I knew, I knew, it was going to spill. Sure enough, not a second had passed by after having that thought when I saw Tot was not more than a foot from the table. I managed to get the word, "Don't...." out before it happened.

Tot swung his blanket, his trusty friend who never leaves his side, in the air like a lasso. Then blanket, that little blue thorn in my side, whipped out and knocked the cup of cappaccino off the table. It wasn't enough that it spilled though. Oh no! It had to land directly on the laptop which had been tucked away between the table and the couch. It didn't just land on the computer though. Of course it didn't. It landed in such a way that the opening in the lid was now pouring directly into the air vents on the back of the laptop. It didn't matter that I reacted with lightening speed and dashed across the room faster than Superman could have, I still wasn't quick enough. Kharma had landed that cup in that exact position to pour out the cappuccino in a steady stream, in exactly the right spot on the laptop to do the most damage. And it all happened in about 4.2 seconds.

The computer was fried.
But it wasn't our computer.
No. Our computer was in the shop being repaired.
This was the loaner computer.

We were now faced with not only having to pay for the repairs on our own computer, but having to pay for the loaner computer as well.

Hub and I getting along amazingly well? The two of us actually talking to each other? That stopped realy quick. Right after I asked the question, "do you ever feel like you're cursed?" and he answered with "every day of my life". Ya, that will put a halt on the conversation. I mean, how do you respond to that? "Thanks honey. Life with you is one big freaking curse too."

That dinner we had planned? That sure as hell didn't happen.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails