Saturday, August 7, 2010

trash day

I'd had enough. I just needed to get out of the house, now. Slamming the car door, I noticed in the mirror that the garbage can was at the end of the drive. Trash day. How fitting that title was for a day like today. Overrun with anger and the need to flee, I attempted to back around the can. Turns out it's true... objects in the rearview mirror are closer than they appear, and apparantly they are a little the right as well. I sat staring at the refuse scattered on the lawn, and in it, saw my life.


This is my first attempt at joining in on Saturday Centus. A themed writing meme that must be 100 words or less, and include the "prompt" words. Therefor the preceeding was fiction, with a splash of truth. :) The prompt words are in color.

20 comments:

linda said...

Very well done!

Koby said...

Excellent...I loved you use of 100 words (or less).

Kim Lehnhoff said...

I loved your take on the prompt, but I get the sinking feeling that it's at least semi-autobiographical.

If so, I hope it's just a distant memory for you.

Bookie said...

Superb beginning! Great piece here...

Susan Anderson said...

Oh, I like this! Hard to believe it's your first time with the Centus.

Nice job.

=)

Viki said...

I liked this a lot. I think a lot of us days when we feel like this. Great job on the Centus.

Jenners said...

This was my first time trying Saturday Centus too .. I've very much enjoyed seeing how diverse all the stories are! And, I shudder at how often I've had a trash day like you describe. Well done.

Unknown said...

I like this one very much. It is quite well done and I think many of us will see ourselves in it as well.

Malisa said...

Just a simple slice of life story until you added that last line, "and in it, saw my life." You created a whole new story with those few words. Well done.

Malisa

Vicki/Jake said...

GREAT take on the prompt!
Now you're unvirginal in the Matlock word games :)
Keep it up, you're dang good at this.

Templeton's fury said...

wonderful! isn't poignant (or anguishing) when life hands a visible metaphor for our lives? God must have a sense of humor!

jfb57 said...

Wow! What an excellent post! so glad you've joined Centus!

Kat said...

Great use of the prompt, and you did a wonderful job of conveying that feeling of frustration, anger and fear. Really well done! Kat

cj Schlottman said...

Welcome to SC! Your post is the perfect example - at least to me - of what this exercise is all about. There is angst, anger, disappointment, and fear all condensed into a 100 word story.
Congratulations!

Thanks..........cj

PS: My 62 year old eyes had a little trouble seeing the words.

easternsparkle said...

Very poignant - welcome to the Centus!

~Lissa said...

This is really great. Touching, moving,and painted an image in my mind beautifully. Glad you've joined!

Cheryl said...

Wow. I loved this. So glad you linked up this week.

Terra said...

Perfect first attempt! I know that feeling, it hits, it overwhelms and it is real!

Terra said...

I am not sure if my comment here took or not but I wanted to say I can relate to this - the feelings inside are so real

Jenny said...

Speechless. This is some strong writing girl.

I like the strength of your words. You have the power to make those painful rocks into a beautiful terrace. I feel this in your writing.

Maybe we can help you put a little bit of mortar in along the way.

Sometimes the sharing of pain is the beginning of the letting go.

I don't know if you've read my blog. If you haven't I'd like to share these posts with you:

http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2010/07/independence-day.html

http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2009/08/music-and-clouds.html

I hear you words, sister. I feel your heart.

Thank you for sharing it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails