This is my 2nd attempt at Saturday Centus. I will admit that last week's prompt was much easier for me. There was really only one direction I felt it could go. This week's prompt could have gone a hundred different directions and I wasn't sure which path to take. It finally became totally clear to me what I wanted to do with it, but then struggled with keeping it under 100 words. I'd love to take this further (as it really is a subject i have strong feelings on, although the story here is fiction), perhaps another time.
Saturday Centus is a themed writing meme wher you are given a "prompt". It must be 100 words or less, not including the "prompt" words. The prompt words can be used in any place within your story but must be left intact. You cannot split the prompt.
the prompt is in color
here is my entry. i call it KITSCHY
Sophie loves to drag me along to estate sales. She calls it searching for treasures and loves to make comments about how "kitschy" or "retro" things are. Personally, I find estate sales depressing. The whole reason to have one is because someone has died. It's sad to me to see a person's whole life spread out on tables with price tags. Every single item had a story, a memory attached that will now forever be lost.
Last week Sophie met with an estate sale agent. I listened to them from my perch on the top step and didn't know whether to laugh or to cry...
as she made arrangements for our mother's estate sale, my sister finally understood me.
13 comments:
OH, this was very good. This was a very interesting way to go with the prompt. I've never gone to an estate sale but I really get your point of view on this. Good job.
Yeah, I have the same feelings about these. Didn't go to my dad's. Didn't even help set up. Just couldn't.
Nice take on the prompt.
This story must hit home for a lot of people. Fortunately for me, the buzzards came in and devoured everything before a sale could be held!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my pre-school story.
Have a great day!
This piece certainly captures my own feelings well. I also hate auctions where the people are breaking up their home...could be for better things but it always disturbs me to think of a life/memories torn apart and in the hands of others.
Loved this - somehow related quite well to it. Great job!
Very different way to take this prompt. I feel the same way about estate sales, they always make me sad. Nicely done.
I have mixed feelings about them...a person with a good heart is allowed a little peek into another's life...and usually not knowing the person it is the only peek you might have...Nic ejob with your story...Peace
what an ending, I think everything we know changes when it happens to us
thanks for your visit
Beautiful! I wasn't expecting that twist at the end. I like to be surprised! I am an estate sale buyer. My son calls it "buying dead people's stuff". :)
Malisa
Very nicely done. I loved how you fit an entire story into just the 100 words.
I don't think I'd want strangers pawing around and assigning nominal values to a loved one's belongings - I'd feel violated - and I got that sense from your story, even in its short length.
I think you should write about it in more detail sometime.
What an unique and inspired take on this prompt! It really resonated in me as I remember feeling such sadness in seeing my dad's treasured possessions being unceremoniously picked over after he passed. Excellent job!
I always feel like this, too.
I rarely go to estate sales for this exact reason. I can hit garage sales all the time!
But the estates sales are like minimizing a life.
I hear your heart in this story.
Thank you for linking.
Post a Comment