I have only been doing this for a few weeks, so I didn't have a lot to choose from within my own work. I didn't really need choices though, because there was one story that I knew I wasn't done with. It was easy to choose Kitschy as the story I would build on. I have added another 100 words (after some serious editing and cutting) and I still don't feel like I'm done with this one. So don't be surprised if you see this one continue at a later date.
My original story is first in italics, followed by
Sophie loves to drag me along to estate sales. She calls it searching for treasures and loves to make comments about how "kitschy" or "retro" things are. Personally, I find estate sales depressing. The whole reason to have one is because someone has died. It's sad to me to see a person's whole life spread out on tables with price tags. Every single item had a story, a memory attached that will now forever be lost.
Last week Sophie met with an estate sale agent. I listened to them from my perch on the top step and didn't know whether to laugh or to cry...
as she made arrangements for our mother's estate sale, my sister finally understood me.
I ran my hand along the faded patches on the wall where Mom's paintings once hung. As a little girl I would stare at them, imagining myself playing in the streams of that beautiful Scottish glen. I watched as Sophie shook her head. "I just think maybe I should hold on to these," she said. "It was Mom's dream to visit Scotland. Dad bought her these paintings as a promise...”
I hurried to her side. “We can’t keep it all Sophie. You have to let some things go.”
Tears streaming from her eyes she sobbed, “She never made it there.”
14 comments:
Oh this just keeps getting more poignant the more you write. I remember times like this all too well.
Really creative - well done! I'm so glad you have found 'Centus'!
I hope this one does continue. I love where this is going. Good job.
So touching and quite believable, too.
Nice work!
=)
excellent continuation
intense ending. this could definently carry on
Painful and poignant is this piece. You did a great job taking me inside your family and inside you doubts and pain.
Thanks..........cj
This is very good...I have to say that IMHO you are quite above the rocks now...you are able to write about it...much hope ;-) Peace and blessings
This was good made me think. I was in that position once not good
Well this is my first time reading part 1, and it gave me chills. Followed by another set of chills with the second. Love what you did with it!
This definitely calls for more. What a poignant continuation. Beautifully written, I could feel the pain and heartbreak with every word. Well done. Kat
This was really well done. The first part was beautiful, but this continuation you wrote is really the icing atop the cake! Great job!
I don't think I caught this the first time around, but I'm glad I found it now! I think you should definitely keep going on this. And I wish you well in your fight back up off the rocks.
What a wonderfully poignant continuation of the first perfect tale.
I really enjoy your style of writing. It is very easy for me to imagine I am inside your story.
Thank you for linking.
Post a Comment