Thursday, November 18, 2010

take a deep breath

Back on October 12th, I had written a post about crashing back down to the bottom. If you missed it, is can be found here.

Yesterday was Dot's first court appearance. Not that she actually appeared in court. We went to the courthouse for juvenile cases and sat down to wait. Luckily, she was one of the very first cases. (i have sat many hours waiting for a case to be called before when dealing with family court. it can be brutal!) She wasn't called into court though, she was called by the court appointed attorney. For those unfamiliar, which I hope most of you are because you don't want to have to be familiar with any of this........ you will almost always meet with a lawyer first to try to find a way to get out of actually having to go into court. For Dot, that meant filing for a diversion. We went through a long application process for this, but the application is now indeed filed. It is time to wait for her to get scheduled for a diversion interview. After that they will determine if she qualifies. It was a first offense, and she has never been in any kind of trouble before or since. Her chances should be good, but I am still crossing fingers and saying prayers.

For now, we are just glad to have this first step out of the way.

If she qualifies for diversion none of this will ever go on her record. The charges get completely dropped and it is as if it never happened. Well.... she not only has to qualify for diversion, but she also has to live up to the restrictions which are a lot like probation. Shouldn't be a problem. She is a good kid that got mixed up with a bad kid is all.

I feel like I can breathe a little easier for now.

3 comments:

Viki said...

Good luck with this. Sounds like it's a pain in the *ss.

cj Schlottman said...

Sorry about all this trouble. One mistake does not define a person's character, and I pray your daughter will come through this with just a few emotional bruises and some hard learned lessons.

I am thinking about you both.....cj

Kelly said...

they call that deferred ajudication here, or it is something that sounds so very similar.

I got busted with pot a long time ago, and tried to go that route (it was like probation....fines, community service, drug tests) but I was still dating my drug of choice so I continued to fail drug tests and, well, now I have a conviction on my record. I wish I had done it the right way, though :\

Related Posts with Thumbnails