It was the next Saturday and I was feeling apprehensive about going to Flyers. While it had been fun and exciting to talk about "hooking up" with another couple, the thought of making it a reality suddenly scared the hell out of me. Hub somehow convinced me that I was just nervous and that once we got there and we saw the Swinger Singers, that I would be excited about the idea again.
We arrived at Flyers and hung out with our usual little gang of friends in the corner. The excitement Hub had promised had not taken hold of me. I was enjoying just hanging out with Brent, Jake, Terry, and another pilot named Jesse. Secretly I was hoping like hell that the SS didn't show that night. Arriving fashionably late, SS sauntered in, dashing those hopes. Beside me I could feel Hub straighten up a little as he noticed their arrival and the excitement kicked in for him. For me, there was no excitement, only wonder at what I had agreed to.
Hub excused himself and went to the restroom which was only an excuse to leave the table without being too obvious. The SS were in the path to the restroom so he would have to walk right past them and it was a pretty sure thing they would stop him to talk. On his way back, that is exactly what they did. I tried to follow conversation at our table, but was sneaking glances at Hub and SS wishing I could read lips. About this time Jesse leaned over and whispered something in my ear, "looks like the SS are trying to recruit you guys to the lifestyle." On the inside I sort of froze up with this feeling like we had been caught at something. On the outside I managed a smile and a laugh like what he'd said was both funny and absurd. I turned my head Jesse's way and was met with laughing blue eyes. I suddenly forgot all about Hub and his conversation with the SS. My fake smile was replaced with a smile of genuine pleasure. Unlike Trent or Jake, there was no big brother or best friend vibe coming off of Jesse. He was more the movie version of the handsome pilot who smiled charming and breathed sexy. We talked, he flirted with me, I flirted with him, and all thoughts of Hub and the SS were gone.
My moment of flirtation with the handsome pilot didn't last long though. After a few minutes Hub was there whispering to me that he had SS phone number and we would call them later in the week to see if things might work out. Once again, I had a fake smile on my face.
Later that week Hub did call and talked with the female half of SS. He then gave me the phone and I talked with her a bit too before she put the male half on. We talked for a while. Something interesting came out in the phone call. It turned out that SS might not be the married couple of swingers everyone thought they were. According to him they had been married but were now divorced. They got together sometimes to hang out and took part in the swingers scene together. It gave me a creepy feeling about them, and any thoughts I had of actually going through with this were dwindling fast. The strangest part to me was that he had said they were divorced and yet she had called him her husband. Not sure if it was old habit, or if he was trying to pull something, but it didn't fit. Hub had gotten a similar vibe and felt like something was really off about them, but he still wasn't ready to give up on the idea of "hooking up" with them.
The next Saturday the male half of SS was at Flyers and he was flying solo. He managed to flag me down on a trip to the bar and talked to me for a bit. His "ex" wife was out somewhere else with a date and so he thought he would come to Flyers and see if Hub and I were interested in "going somewhere" with him. I told him I would talk to Hub and let him know. It was not the scenario we had always talked about during our late night fantasizing. Part of me was intrigued by the idea. It was the part that really did not like the idea of letting Hub be with another woman. At the same time, this guy gave me the creepy vibe and I really didn't trust that he and his wife were in fact divorced. I made my way back to Hub and managed to get him away from everyone else under the pretense of dancing so that we could talk without our friends overhearing. I told him what creepy SS had said and Hub was totally against the idea. I was relieved. At least at the time, I was.
Dancing during karaoke was a rare thing. It might not have been the best cover for the fact that I wanted a private conversation. Still, there was actually someone there that night with a decent voice who was singing songs worthy of dancing to. We weren't the only couple on the floor that night. Women were scarcer than usual in the bar that night though, so for the single guys there was not a wide selection of possible dance partners. As the next song started, Jesse swooped in pushing Hub aside and declaring it was his turn on the dance floor with me. He had one of those personalities that won everyone over, male and female alike. So Hub laughed, handed me over with a smile and said, "be my guest." He had other things to attend to anyway, such as telling creepy SS that nothing was going to happen. I was trying to watch for his reaction but Jesse was not one to accept anyone's attention being on someone other than him.
"You could hurt a man's feelings that way."
"What?" I asked, wondering once again if he could read my mind.
"You're dancing with me and you're still watching your husband. It breaks my heart a little."
He had me laughing and I couldn't help but to look at that handsome face and get caught up in his gorgeous blue eyes. "Sorry, you have my undivided attention now," and he did. We didn't say anything else as we continued our dance. As the song was ending Jesse nodded over to creepy SS and said, "I was right. He's trying to get you guys into the swinger thing."
Nothing was going to happen. It all felt like some weird nightmare. I figured there was no harm in admitting the guy's intentions, although I chose to leave our own intentions out of it. "Ya, he is."
"And?" Jesse asked.
I looked at him wide eyed and shook my head, "NO! Eww!"
He laughed and began walking me back toward our table. "Good. I'd hate to see you do that," he said. Then he looked at me with a mischievous look in those baby blues and said, "well, at least with that creep." He flashed his most charming smile and winked at me. We arrived at our table then and he grabbed my hand and moved it towards Hub's declaring, "I have returned your wife to you sir."
Everyone laughed, but I caught a quick glimpse at Jesse's face and mischief was very much still there.
Disclaimer: The re-telling of these events from my past are not meant as an endorsement of the swinger lifestyle. It is not meant to glorify swinging in anyway. In fact, the whole story is meant to demonstrate how swinging can destroy a marriage and ruin the love and trust between two people. I also want to make people aware that just because someone goes along with this lifestyle it does not mean they truly want to do so. They may be doing it simply to make their partner happy, while it is slowly eating away at their own soul.
1 comment:
Oh Honey--- men are such pricks aren't they? I'm so glad you're sharing your story. <3<3<3 Lexie
Post a Comment