Saturday, November 27, 2010

the romantic evening

Jenny MatlockSaturday Centus is a themed writing meme. You can use UP to 100 words to tell your story. The prompt does not count for your 100 words AND it must be left intact in the body of your story. No illustrations are permitted. Your story can be fact or fiction, just keep it PG, please!
This week's SC is one with a twist...
You know those horoscopes in newspapers? One of those will be your new prompt. Pick one randomly from a paper or a website and write a story <100> words about the kind of day the horoscope "predicts".

First, I present you with the horoscope I found using Facebook's Daily Horoscope application:
You could be reliant on your ability to bounce back after a disappointment for a good part of the day today, Gemini. In the evening however there is an Opportunity Period that may put you in a more social mood without your having to follow your usual "withdraw and recharge" pattern. Avoid the urge to butt into others' conversations, or get your two cents in no matter what; this kind of behavior could be seriously damaging to your reputation and your authority today.


I couldn't manage to get this one in 100 words or less. I tried hard to manage it, but no matter how I edited I couldn't do it. I could not get the story out in so few words this time. So here is my effort, coming in at 126 words and still not as good as it should have been:

Jeff and I had planned a romantic evening for tonight weeks ago. I was incredibly disappointed when he called earlier and cancelled because he wasn’t feeling well. I decided I would just sit home in my pj’s watching sad movies and eating junk. When Rosie called to invite me to a party I was going to say no, but she wasn’t having it.

I was fixing myself a drink when I overheard two women whispering about Jeff. I managed to catch, “Jeff gave her some line about being sick”.

I couldn’t help myself and butted in loudly; demanding they tell me what was going on.

Just then Jeff walked in with a small black velvet box in his hand and a hurt look in his eyes.

15 comments:

Cheryl said...

Lovely ending. Quite unexpected.

Had myself a fliter time here today.

jeff campbell said...

Very compelling storytelling...well done...peace and blessings...

jfb57 said...

I love a happy ending!

Tina said...

Didn't see that coming! Well done. I don't know what you could have cut either...that part always takes the longest time for me.

Judie said...

Now that's what I like to see! Good job

Viki said...

Poor Jeff got his surprised spoiled, ha. Hopefully, he gets over his hurt feelings. Loved this take on the horoscope.

cj Schlottman said...

I love a happy ending! I'm sure Jeff recovered and you lived happily ever after.

Great twist at the end..........cj

Anonymous said...

What a great happy ending! I love this!

Teresa

Unknown said...

Oh I hope you made your amends to Jeff and that he's a forgiving type! A very good story you have here!

Kat said...

Nice twist at the end! This was a hard one for me too, ended up chopping mine all to heck. Kat

Malisa said...

Awwwwwwww! I love a happy ending! Being the suspicious person I am, I was expecting to find out that Jeff was a scoundrel...but NO! Did I mention that I love happy endings?

Tina said...

That story was perfect in tieing in with the horoscope. loved how u used the 'withdraw and recharge' bit clevery. well done :)

Unknown said...

I took away my first attempt at this, in case you tried to visit my post and found that it was not accessable. But it's working now. I have finally finished writing a Centus for week 30.
Best wishes,
Anna
Anna's SC wk 30

gautami tripathy said...

Such a creative post! Loved it!

I am Aries. I wrote ripples depicting that!

Jenny said...

I always love a happy ending! Great twist.

Related Posts with Thumbnails