Saturday, November 6, 2010

I never remember

Jenny MatlockIf you read this blog alot then you know what time it is. Saturday Centus time! One of my favorite times of the week. You also know the drill... take the given prompt and write a story (fiction or non-fiction) using only 100 words, not counting the prompt. I've gone with non-fiction this week.

Here is my 100 word thought process for the week. Prompt is in color:

It was the 11th anniversary of my first wedding. No wait! It was the12th. That was back in July, but I hadn’t thought of it then. I used to remember, on the day. “This would have been our 3rd anniversary,” I would think, and my mind would drift nostalgically back. I’d remember my gorgeous gown with the twelve layer skirt and another 10 layers of petticoat. I’d think of my hair cascading down my back in curls. Feeling and looking like a princess. Then I’d remember how the air-conditioner had been broken and I regretted those layers and cascading hair.

But… I never remember it anymore.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least there's a good memory of the beautiful wedding. So sad.

Kat said...

Nice, unexpected use of the prompt. I'm going to think it's better that she doesn't remember anymore, it means that she is moving on with her life. But it would be hard to forget no air conditioning while wearing full bridal regalia. Kat

ReformingGeek said...

There is a lot of feeling in that story. Good job.

Ames said...

Makes you wonder if there aren't signs to indicate how things will turn out. Or, why do we always see them after it is too late?

Great take on the prompt!~Ames

noexcuses said...

I wanted to have layers and layers at mine. I settled for a few tiers close to the dress! Sounds like a great memory for you!

Viki said...

Yikes, that must have been one fluffy dress with all the layers of skirts and petticoats, ha. Very good take on this prompt.

Unknown said...

Wonderful solution to the challenge! The word 'Anniversary' makes most of us think of weddings, but not everybody has written a Centus about a wedding anniversary. You have gone for the obvious subject matter, but still written an excellent and unexpected story.

I can really feel for your protagonist as I too had a lovely wedding and loved my dress etc.; but in about a month's time my our divorce will be final, and I will have to move from a beautiful home to a less-attractive dwelling. It is so sad, but necessary.

I can relate to your SC. The only difference is that I still like my dress, and there was nothing wrong with the wedding; I had just picked the wrong guy.

Best wishes & hugs,
Anna

Anna's SC week 27

Jenny said...

I was thinking about you today. Wondering how school was. Wondering how your journey back up to the sunshine was progressing.

And here I see you with this wonderfully written prompt filled with emotion and longing and regret and bitterness.

So I think you might be doing fine with all the changes!

I hope you are!

And I really appreciate you linking this great read. I wrote this prompt in honor of my 11th Wedding Anniversary.

This was definitely a great gift!

Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails