Saturday Centus is a themed writing meme in which you are given a prompt each week. You can use UP to 100 words to tell your story. The prompt does not count for your 100 words AND it must be left intact in the body of your story.
This week's prompt is If I had a hammer.
I had two things I wanted to do with the prompt this week. Here is #1:
If I had a hammer I could finally hang those pictures on the wall.
If I had a hammer I could build a dog house for this mingy mutt.
If I had a hammer I could fix that broken cabinet in the garage.
If I had a hammer I could build myself the bookshelves I have been wanting for years.
If I had a hammer I could repair that busted toy box.
If I had a hammer I could get a lot of work done around this place.
If I had a hammer I wouldn't be sitting here eating these chips and watching this movie.
hmmmm.....
I am really, really glad I don't have a hammer.
and here is #2 and this one is a true story:
All the other kids were singing pop songs. That wasn’t going to get them anywhere with our music teacher. I was smarter; I chose a song she loved. She must love it since she made us sing it everyday since first grade.
When it was my turn I belted it out. “If I had a hammer I would fly to the state where a man could walk a mile high.” It was perfect, even Simon would have loved it. If American Idol existed in 1982 that is.
I got the lead part in the musical alright…
but she made me lip-sync all the musical numbers.
edit: it should be noted that while those are the words I sang, I believe I had mixed up two totally different songs when I sang them, creating lyrical nonsense. i think the teacher just felt a mighty sense of pity for poor cunfused kid i was
18 comments:
1. No more excuses for this person. They have a lot of work to do. Go buy a hammer lol.
2. Doesn't make sense. Why have a musical if people are going to lip- sinc. Sounds weird lol.
I LOVED the first one and as for the 2nd I'm sure Simon would have put you through even then! LOL :o)
I like both although the second one appeals to me more.
that hammer
Can you please pass me the chips Thanks!
Vicki,
the 2nd one is a true story and you're right that it doesn't really make sense to have a musical and then have the lead lip-sync.
but the fact is that there were maybe a total 20 kids in the entire school (i grew up in the tiniest town ever) so there weren't alot of kids to choose from anyway. She chose me because I could do a witch's voice and nobody else could. (halloween play) The problem was that even though I was the best actor in the school, I was probably the worst singer. So, she sang all my solos and told me to just move my lips.
Way to go girl! I had trouble with just one...you rocked two.
Nowadays, a gal's glad to NOT have a hammer so she can eat chips while watching American Idol! These are both fun pieces!
xoRobyn
Funny stuff, RB. Procrastination and acting. Who knew?
Both of these were are very good...Peace
Nice double post. I'm all for using a hammer as a useful tool to make things, build things, repair things. But on the other hand I am fond of chips too. So let's put up those shelves etc and then we can sit and have some chips while watching the song contest program. (We have a Swedish version of American Idol here. I have seen it a couple of times. Poor kids. I hate to see them get critised! The judges here are so horribly mean.) To sing or lip sync? You do what you can. Have you ever seen a movie with Gene Kelly called Singing in the Rain? It's basically about Hollywood at the time when the talkies started and many silent screen actors and actresses did not make the transition. Very funny. There is a character, a beautiful but awful actress who has a terrible newyorky-accent. She can't sing. But she has clout. Please see this film if you get the opportunity. I think you might enjoy it.
Nice posts. I hope I will have time to post one more. This was a fun prompt.
Best wishes,
Anna
Anna's SC Week 23
Poor Simon. Liked your wishlist and 'true story'.
I understand the first one all too well :) And the second - what a cute story. I love that you mixed up the words and she still cast you. Kat
go buy a hammer
Nice job. Both!
=)
Both of those are wonderful! I just love that second, true story.
Teresa
Hey, call me insane here (most of my family does anyway!) but I think school is good for your soul, girl.
I feel something different in your writing. And I didn't even use my crystal ball at all!
I liked both of these ... a lot!
My youngest sister loved that song...the real version anyway. I sang that over and over to her along with the song 500 miles while she died in a nursing home.
I think I like your version of the words a whole heckuva lot better!
Thanks for linking.
Go hit something!
Awww at least you got a part in the show even if it was mimed haha.
Oh and the hammer I feel like doin that sometimes. If I have to wait for my hubby to do it ill wait forever!!
Tina from Mummy Diaries
hurry out to the store and stock up on chips. then get yourself a hammer!
like the first one best, but enjoyed both.
thanks..........cj
Post a Comment