Saturday, January 22, 2011

oh no you dih-unt

Jenny MatlockI like Sci-Fi, but I have never actually written any. Well, I did back when I was ten but that really doesn't count. That was a phase in my life where I was convinced I was a character out of Star Wars, so we try to forget that year. Why do I bring up Sci-Fi? Because Jenny Matlock decided that it would be fun to not just give us a prompt this week, but to also determine which genre we must write it in. Ya, she chose Sci-Fi. Of course based on the fact that she mixed a line from Star Wars by mentioning a galaxy far, far away with a classic line from Star Trek, I am guessing that Sci-Fi is really not her thing. Oh well, on to my rather lame attempt at re-visiting the love of my childhood, Sci-Fi. Prompt, as usual, is in color.


“You did not just say that,” I yelled in utter disbelief. We were in the middle of the park surrounded by dozens of gruesome lizard-men. A woman went running by, screaming in terror just before being laser-blasted into oblivion. Every direction we turned there was mayhem and destruction. Bulging, red lizard eyes glowed in scaly, green faces. People were being evaporated, fried, and blasted to puddles of goo. The aliens had arrived unexpectedly and they had not come in peace. Standing next to me was my son, staring up at the spaceship overhead. And what did he have to say? “Beam me up Scottie!”

16 comments:

CB said...

Loved that you made it a personal story - Great job!

Judie said...

My best artist friend would say the same thing if we were ever in that situation. I would have to slap her.

Susan Anderson said...

Sci-fi isn't my thing, either. But I think it might be yours!

Nice job.

=)

Susan Anderson said...

Sounds like that kids got a good head on his shoulders!

;)

Unknown said...

Lizard men and laser-blasters! All you need for a good sci-fi read! And I think my son would probably utter those same words.

Terra said...

Gruesome lizzard men! Loved that line and laughed out loud at the end...seemed so "real"

Bookie said...

Seems you had some fun with this!

Viki said...

Well done. This flowed so nicely when reading. You really do have the feel for this kind of writing. Good job.

Dazee Dreamer said...

Thank goodness for you son knowing what to do. Great job.

Kat said...

Boys will be boys! I loved this, you took this challenge and ran with it. Great job. The last line and the mom's reaction made me laugh out loud. Kat

21 Wits said...

Oh yes, sci-fi is in your destiny! Not so much my life...but this was really awesome!

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

You made great use of the prompt. I really like these very vivid, out-of-this-world images.
xoRobyn

Ames said...

Whoops! Out of the mouth of babes!~Ames

Rek Sesh said...

whoa, really good one...I can see the lizard men for myself and don't like them one bit...

Nancy Jane said...

One smart little boy and a darn good tale...

Jenny said...

You are incredibly perceptive. I think I've only watched 1/2 episode of Star Wars, although I did like that little sci-fi movie with the alien guy with the long, glowy fingers.

Sigh.

But, you! Obviously, you are a master of sci-fi because this was fabulous.

I love what you did with this prompt.

Thanks for linking.

Related Posts with Thumbnails