Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Little Pieces

I am clinging tight to little pieces of happiness right now. When you don't have much of something (money, food, love, happiness) I figure you can handle it in one of two ways. You can dwell on it all and grow bitter and angry, or you can enjoy those little bits that you do have and see the beauty and joy in them. I have always been the first type of person. I am working on changing that though. I want to be the second type. Tonight I found myself easily, and effortlessly being just that way.

It was nothing major. An evening at home, just me and the boys. Dot is working now and Hub works mostly nights. So a night with just Sonny, Tot, and I is not uncommon. Usually we just sit, eat some take-out garbage, watch TV and complain how bored we are. Tonight I didn't want that to happen again. I pulled out some science experiment book I picked up at a garage sale that is supposed to have cool stuff for kids to do.
I found something fairly simple involving cornstarch and water. Here is a link to something like it. I know it sounds kind of silly and maybe even a little dumb, but the boys and I actually enjoyed whipping this stuff up and they played with it while I actually made dinner. Ya, I cooked! Ok, so you don't know me enough to realize just how shocking that is.... trust me, it is shocking. So after the food was ready and we cleaned up the gooey mess, we sat down at the table and ate our lovely home-cooked meal. Eating at the table is even more shocking than the fact that I cooked the food. It was a nice evening, with no fighting amongst the boys (the most shocking thing of all, trust me), the three of us actually talking and laughing with no TV involved at all.

Ya, it was just a few simple little things that won't add up to much in a few days or weeks or months or whatever.... but, for tonight it was a few moments of happiness and I am going to cling to that.

1 comment:

Lexie said...

Oh honey... I hear ya loud and clear! The simplest things that most other folks take for granted are our miracles. But, I don't think that these simple things won't add up to much-- In fact, I've come to believe that its just the opposite. These are the special times that are like money in the bank which grows exponentially. Don't underestimate the positive effect that this seemingly "ordinary" evening had on your boys and that will spill over, into other areas of their lives.

That is the stuff they store in their hearts... forever.

You're a really good mom!

Related Posts with Thumbnails