Monday, December 6, 2010

To Give the Boy a Gun

Several weeks ago Sonny told me that he wanted to learn to shoot a gun. When I asked him why he said, "just because I'd like to know how." I told him that was not a valid reason for learning to shoot a gun. He thought he was clever when he then said he wanted to learn to shoot a gun in case we are ever attacked by zombies.

I am honestly not sure if he was trying to be funny to distract me from the severity of the issue, or if he really believes we may one day be attacked by zombies. The kid tends to live in video game fantasy world a good portion of the time. The idea of actual zombies has crossed his mind a time or two.

I ended the conversation by telling him that if he really wants to learn to shoot a gun that he can join the military when he is eighteen. Then he would have a valid reason for learning to do so. Of course I then told him that if he joined the military instead of going to college that I would kick him in his brilliant little ass. The kid is smart. Spooky smart sometimes actually. I do not want him wasting way above average intelligence fighting in some war half way around the world.


flash forward to yesterday......

I received a text from The Idiot. The Idiot is less commonly known as my ex-husband. The text led to others. Here is the run-down of how it went:

Idiot: I want to get your opinion on how you would feel about Sonny learning to shoot a gun

Me: I would rather he not!!!

Idiot: Well, he asked me about learning to shoot a gun a few days ago.

Me: He asked me that too, I told him NO!


Idiot: I told him he would need to have hunter's safety first.


After that I just didn't respond to him. I made my opinion very clear to him. NO!!! It was ridiculous for him to continue on. I feel very strongly about this and there is nothing he could say that would change my mind.

Now, if The Idiot were a hunter and wanted Sonny to learn to shoot so that the two of them could go hunting together... then I could understand it. Then there would be a somewhat valid reason for the kid to learn to shoot a gun. (i don't like hunting, so it is not a totally valid reason to me. i don't get killing animals for fun and they sell food at the grocery store. i see no real need to hunt) Idiot is not a hunter. He has never been hunting in his forty years of existence. Is he planning to start just because his 14yo son wants to shoot a damn gun?!?

I mentioned just a few days ago that Sonny is a very introverted kinda kid. He has few friends. He is quiet and painfully shy. He isn't into sports, he is short and skinny, he gets straight A's without even trying, and he lacks confidence. He feels very picked on by many of the kids at school. He is prone to bouts of depression.



Does any of that seem like a good combination with a gun???? Hell no it doesn't!!!

To give the boy a gun would be stupid and irresponsible!



I have felt for awhile now that I should probably look into a therapist for him. Now I am certain that it is a good idea. I am looking into options now and plan to have him begin visiting one after the first of the new year.

2 comments:

Lexie said...

you really made me laugh (out loud) with the name you gave to your ex. You're a great mom and extremely perceptive. Quite frankly these days, I think its the rare teen who wouldn't benefit from some therapy--- but especially one who has an "idiot" for a father. ;)

Jenny said...

Man. It is just never easy is it? I am anti-gun...terrified of them in fact. I don't know if there are any pro's to knowing this except for hunting. If I was able to look at this objectively I would google it, read the reasons, and then still say no.

Hugs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails