Sunday, December 12, 2010

it really could happen

Jenny MatlockIt was a Saturday Centus I could not resist!!! Sorry Jenny, but I simply could not pull this one off without a wee bit of non G-rated language, but it is really only PG so not too far off. ;)



An involuntary gasp of shock escaped my lips when I opened the shoebox and saw the pointy-toed shoes, and then I laughed. It was the longest, hardest, best laugh I had since being diagnosed. The months had been long and hard. That wasn’t the worst of it though. The worst was always seeing my family upset. They would try to hide it, but the amount of effort it took them always showed. Today’s grim news had made it all worse until this very moment. One gift changed it all.

Now I held up those shoes and laughed. “I hate that God-Damned song son!”

“I know Mom, that’s why I had to do it.”


writer's note:
This week's effort is a tribute to my most hated Christmas song. I really do hate that G-D song!!! Whenever I hear it I always say, "who the f*** would want shoes when they are about to die?!?" to which my son always says, "i am totally buying you shoes when your old and about to die."


ok, since many people are saying they don't know what song i am talking about in their comments... here it is:

12 comments:

jfb57 said...

Thanks for the explanation! Note to self - don't give her sohes!!

Viki said...

Great way to go with this. I never heard the song but I think I saw the movie, ha.

Rek Sesh said...

A grim tale with a sweet ending....loved your story....Can we feel the shoes when we are dead??

Susan Anderson said...

I am wracking my brain trying to think of what song speaks about someone dying speaks about shoes. Can't come up with it.

Having said that, I like your premise!

=)

jeff campbell said...

Starkly funny...clever take on the prompt...and Judie's comment, barefoot, comatose...heck that's how I want to live!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. Not sure I've heard the song.

Teresa

RockiBottom said...

hmmmm... i thought everyone knew this horrible song. they play it on the radio here ALL THE TIME during the holiday season. but since it seems more obscure elsewhere i decided to add the video to my post

Ames said...

I can't stand the song. I always turn the channel when I hear it.~Ames

Anonymous said...

What a sad-sweet tale!

Tina said...

Thanks for putting the song in. I'd never heard of it. I loved your twist on the story!

Jenny said...

I never heard that song before!

But I was totally laughing at your post before I even listened to the song...

Brilliant.

How could I possibly get annoyed for a little PG-ing when the post was as perfect as this.

Thanks for linking.

Unknown said...

I have never heard of this song about the shoes. Thank you for including it so I could better understand what you are working with here.
Normally I am a bit of a SC-police when it comes to keeping our texts G or at least PG. But you are forgiven. You made a great centus out of not so easy material.
This prompt was not an easy one to do for any of us, and several texts fell short, which is one of the reasons I stopped going around commenting on other's posts for just this assignment. I got tired of reading gruesome scenes for this prompt, which I am sure is meant to be very innocent.
So I think you did very well.

I appreciate background information very much. I am glad that I could listen to this song. It is not always possible to do, because of copyright laws for countries outside the United States.
So thank you for your thoughfulness.

Best wishes & hugs,
Anna
Anna's SC wk 32

Related Posts with Thumbnails