I was making my fourth trip of the day home from the high school yesterday when I nearly died. I was discussing with Dot the ridiculousness of the fact I even had to make so many trips to the school and back in a single day. Her answer to that was, of course, that we should get her car fixed. Oh honey... if I had the money to do so, trust me it would be fixed! You would think having two kids in the same school would decrease the number of school runs I have to make, but that is just not so. Not when kids are building resumes with extra-curricular activities for both their own enjoyment and the possibility of obtaining college scholarships. Nevermind the fact that these scholarships are usually massive amounts like $500 which goes a long, long way toward purchasing one book. Yes, that is sarcasm and annoyance you read right there.

As I was saying, I was on my fourth trip home from the school when I nearly died. Well, we nearly died actually since Dot was in the car too. We were nearly home actually. You know what they say, most accidents occur within a few blocks of home. I was driving along and I saw lights coming from the opposite direction. Now being the experienced driver that I am I knew what those lights meant. Of course my six year old who has no driving experience what-so-ever could also tell you that those lights meant we needed to get over to the right line and come to a stop. Unfortunately, the massive tool driving the overpriced sedan in the right lane seemed to have less knowledge of traffic laws than my Kindergartner.
Now Tool was actually far enough back that I had plenty of room to get over, which I did. That room quickly dissapeared though since Tool had to be going at least 65mph down this road with the 40mph speed limit. So when I got into the right lane in a effort to pull over for the ambulance that I could now not only see but also hear, Tool was quickly on my ass and making zero effort to slow down. I had managed to make it into the right lane but rather than stopping for the ambulance I actually had to speed up in order to keep from needing an ambulance myself.
I sped up enough that Tool did not run his expensive car up our ass. I then attempted to slow down thinking he would do the same. Certainly he must have seen or heard the ambulance by now. No, he hadn't. As I slowed he just came closer and closer to the ass end of my car, not slowing at all himself. I nearly sped up again, but instead I eased off the gas slowing even more hoping Tool would catch a clue and slow the fuck down. Instead he swerved over into the left lane to speed past me. Finally I was able to stop as my entire arsenal of profanities spewed from my mouth directed at Tool who finally spotted the ambulance and hit his brakes stopping in the left lane just as the ambulance drove past him.
Now the smart thing to do would have probably been to stay stopped until Tool drove off. I am not one to choose the smart thing though. Instead of staying put I hit the gas, veered over into the left lane in front of Tool, drove the last block before the turn into my neighborhood and then stopped dead in front of him to wait for my chance to turn. It was quite gratifying to look in my rearview mirror and see the look of contrition on Tool's face as he sat patiently waiting for me to make my turn.
1 comment:
crappy inattentive drivers are the bain of my existence. I drive 3 hours a day, and sometimes by the time I get to work my eye is twitching with rage.
Post a Comment